Sunday, January 2, 2011

Catie's Story

I was first concerned with what I fed myself (and then later my family once I had one), the summer I lived with my grandmother. I watched a tumor grow in her colon like a pregnant woman. She drank a 12pk of diet coke a day. Two months after it began the doctor removed a five pound tumor out of her colon. She battled breast cancer, skin cancer, colon cancer, and just lost her battle to ovarian cancer. She is a walking enigma of primary cancers. We ARE a product of what we eat, and how we eat it! A major turning point from JUST "organic and natural" foods-still processed-was when my second son was born. I was planning on breastfeeding him, and like his brother, discovered he was intolerant to milk proteins from cow's milk. For me this meant I had to remove any and all forms of dairy from my diet. And I had to read lots of labels. This "dairy free" diet I was on was the healthiest 15 months of my life. I felt AWESOME! Makes sense though, we aren't cows. But this diet also meant eating MORE fruits and vegetables that aren't loaded with butter and cheese to convince my pallet that I like them. Now I crave them raw, whole, as they are intended! BTW I've always been a "take it or leave it" kind of girl on meats, and never was a fan of seafood.



No comments:

Post a Comment