Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vegan Mac and Cheese

I started making homemade mac n chz for Zander a long time ago and it's one of his favorites. Which I like because it's another one of those recipes you can hide veggies in. It's very versatile. I use the Eddie's veggie pasta and normally a handful of shredded cheddar. This was my first time making it without any cheese at all. More fun healthy items from Basic Foods. Totally an experiment.

I cooked about a cup of noodles. This time I also threw in a bit of grains to cook with the noodles. I used Pedon 10 minutes Italian Style grains and pulses. It has barley, spelt, lentils, green and yellow split peas, and some other stuff. After I strained the noddles I added about a teaspoon of nutritional yeast, 1 1/2 slices of Rice Vegan sliced cheese, a big spoonful of garlic, salt and pepper, parsley, shredded spinach and a nut/seed mixture. I put almonds, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds in a food processor and keep it in the fridge for quick add-ins.

It wasn't as good as the real thing so I'll have to work on it, but my little man ate a big bowl and asked for more so that's a pass for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment